[Samba] Authenticating against a Windows 2000 DC?

Chris Palmer chris.palmer at geneed.com
Sun Jan 5 02:18:01 GMT 2003

I apologize in advance if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find the FAQ document for this list. I also could not find anything relevant in other Samba documentation sources like http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html.

There seems to be plenty of information about using Samba *as* a DC, but I want to know if I can use Samba *with* a Windows 2000 DC. We have two DCs running Windows 2000, a W2K file server and a Linux/Samba file server (in standalone mode). We have to manage users and groups separately on the Linux and Windows systems, and that's no fun.

We are running Samba 2.2.7 on Red Hat 7.3 (although sometimes RH's version numbers are not quite in synch with the original developer's):

===
$ rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-common-2.2.7-1.7.3
samba-2.2.7-1.7.3
samba-swat-2.2.7-1.7.3
samba-client-2.2.7-1.7.3
===

Is the feature I want in this version? Or, is the feature I want in development? Or, is there some other setup I can use to get authentication out of the DCs via LDAP (Windows 2000 uses a moderately bastardized LDAP for authentication), and then have Samba use that?

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris Palmer    Systems Programmer    GeneEd