[Samba] WinXP reghack wont stick after reboot

Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk at physics.syr.edu
Sat Jan 4 15:59:00 GMT 2003

I have a handful of machines with all of the latest windows updates,
and the WinXP reghack wont stay.

If I enter the EnablePlainTextPassword reghack, and reboot, all is
fine, until the machine is logged off or rebooted, then it reverts
back to EnablePlainTextPassword=no
Seems to be only affected on machines using Novell 4.83.6 SP1
client... although something else could be the cause.

Machines with Novell 4.83.6 (no SP1) seem to work ok.

using:
samba-2.2.7a-1 server
WinXP SP1
Novell 4.83.6 (SP1) client

On a separate note, I've tried unsuccessfully to use encrypted
passwords to try to bypass this problem, encrypt passwords=yes, and
using smbpasswd and setting user's smbpasswd.

Any ideas???