[Samba] Samba pdc, Norton Ghost enterprise edition and joining the domain?

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sat Jan 4 03:34:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 20:35, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 00:53, Lars O. Grobe wrote:
> > Hi List.
> >
> > We have a Samba 3.0pre21 PDC set up here on our prim. fileserver. We use
> > Windows 2000 SP2 on our PC clients. We install clients with system images
> > from disk and than install applications from one central machine running
> > Norton Ghost EE.
> >
> > Ghost has the functionality not only to install the software from the
> > "console" on the ghost server, but it is also able to make the clients join
> > the domain. So we would not have to go to the client, log in as admin and
> > join the domain, but could make this part of our remote installation
> > procedure.
> >
> > However, we have not been able to do this with our samba pdc. Is there
> > anybody out there with a similar configuration and attempts to integrate
> > Ghost into a Samba-controlled domain? Or are there other (better) ways to
> > "remot-join" the domain?
somehow i neglected to send my response to the list...

> I would love to see this kind of software work - and work well - with
> Samba.  It could certainly make some administration jobs much easier.
>
> Any chance you can do some digging and figure out how ghost is doing
> it?  Does it require that it be installed on the PDC, or can it run on
> any server?  (makes it much easier to sniff what's going on if it must
> use the net :-)
i already did the digging it works fine in my hands.

here's the response i mentioned

Lars:

I'm using ghost to image our desktop systems - it works great...
I have it running a syspreped XP image
that joins a temporary workgroup on initial load
then i apply a machine specific configuration with the AI packages for
that particular user, the right computer name, and joins the domain.

If you have no need to specify names of computers you could easily use
the sysprep commands to join the domain during the client mini-setup.
(each one gets a semi-random name)

To get the ghost domain joining to work I had to hack the registry  and
put in a user and password with permission to do domain operations.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NGServer\params

there should be two Reg_SZ values
Account
Password

with the appropriate values...

best wishes! (easier than the script i think)

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>