[Samba] os x and samba performance vs netatalk

Stewart Allen stewart at neuron.com
Sat Jan 4 03:20:01 GMT 2003

Phil,

I've tried the last two official redhat rpms of samba and 2.2.7a and they
all show the same results. No logging is turned on. OS X is at 10.2.3.

Before I commit to putting at large amount of data on the raid array, I
would like to spend some time understanding whether samba or netatalk will
be better for my purposes. The only negative against samba at this point
seems to be performance. Netatalk 1.5.5 doesn't support files > 2GB and I
can't get OSX to authenticate against 1.7a. Without large file support,
netatalk is useless for large media clips (the bulk of my data).

The application generating the data is Final Cut Pro. It seems to crash
whenever I try to capture clips to either samba or netatalk shares. I
haven't found anyone who can shed light on this. So files will be captured
locally then moved to the server.

I've read a couple of your posts to the netatalk lists. If you can get
netatalk to store files in a format compatble with samba, that would be a
great boon. It would mean I would have to worry less about which server
process I used to store the files originally.

regards,

stewart