[Samba] os x and samba performance vs netatalk

Stewart Allen stewart at neuron.com
Fri Jan 3 21:28:01 GMT 2003

Client:

  Dual 1GHz G4 OSX 10.2
  Gig-Ethernet

Server:

  Dual 2GHz P4 Linux 2.4.18
  Raid-5 1TB
  Gig-Ethernet

With netatalk 1.5.5 I get sustained writes of 66MB/s (yes, megabytes)
With samba 2.2.7a I get sustained writes of 15MB/s

I've tweaked the settings and ended up with these:

IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
    read raw = true
    write raw = true
    read size = 65535
    write size = 65535
    write cache size = 262144

But no changes led to any noticeable positive improvements.

So my questions is this: is OS X just a sucky SMB client or is Samba
misconfigured? I would stick with netatalk for performance, but it has a 2GB
file limit which is a deal-breaker for large media files.

thanks,

stewart