[Samba] Error in SNIA spec wrt. SessionSetupAndX response when dialect is NT LM 0.12

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 3 03:06:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 13:28, Joey Collins wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> On the bottom of page 53, section 4.1.2.2 in the SNIA spec
> (http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/CIFS/CIFS-TR-1p00_FINAL.pdf), it
> states if the dialect is NT LM 0.12 and extended security is off (I.e.,
> use "traditional" NTLMv2/NTLMv2 authentication w/o SecurityBlobs), the
> SessionSetupAndX response  is as shown in section 4.1.2.2 with a word
> count = 4.  However, what I have noticed is this is not the case, but
> rather, if you are doing NTLMv2 or NTLMv1 authentication w/o extended
> security, the SessionSetupAndX is really the one shown in 4.1.2.1 with a
> word count = 3.  I tried this a few times, using NT4.0 + SP 6a client
> against NT4.0 + SP 6a, and Win2k + SP 3 against the NT4.0 + SP 6a server
> and all resulted in the same SessionSetupAndX response--the one shown in
> section 4.1.2.1 with a wc = 3.
>
> Am I doing something funky to get this result or is this in fact an
> issue in the spec?

Given that's what Samba returns, I would knock it up as an error in the
spec.  I've CC'ed Steve French, so see if he knows how to get such
errata into the next version.

For detailed protocol questions, I would suggest joining the developers
list - samba-technical at samba.org, and the developers IRC channel
#samba-technical on irc.freenode.net.  (NOTE to other list-members:
These are for technical discussions of Samba internals, and is not a
help channel)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org