[Samba] Samba Newbie Question

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Jan 1 19:39:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:23, Kevin Barry wrote:
> I'm looking to set up Samba between a RH 8.0 computer and Win XP
> machine. On the linux box when using the rpm gui interface it requests
> that I install samba 2.5. I went ahead and installed version 2.7.2 but
> received what seemed to signify conflicts with a ver 2.7.1. The services
> running/available gui does not show samba as been available and when I
> attempt to rpm uninstall the 2.7.2 samba I'm informed that it is not
> installed. What should I do next?

If you want to use the redhat admin tools you must stick with
the official redhat samba packages.

probably they have 2.2.7 somewhere on their web pages

If you don't care about the gui tools you can install the rpms from
samba.org and use the command line tools to restart the services
(/etc/init.d/samba restart)

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>