[Samba] how to verify the connection between a Samba server and a Windows Xp client?

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Jan 1 17:34:01 GMT 2003

Just some ideas.

When you stopped your firewall, I don't know what other
security features may be working. There are others.

Is the smbd server running?

What does net view \\WINNY show you?

If this fails, what does:
net view \\ipnumberofwinny show you?

If these attempts fail, then:

It is fun and a great time waster to monitor what the computers are saying
to one another with tcpdump. tcpdump -i interface on the linux server. You
might get a clue. Delays in responses, or requests going to other ports
rather than the port you think should be getting requests.

nmap is sometimes helpful to see what ports are open on your
computer. Be aware then port 137 doesn't show up with nmap as being open,
don't know why.

telnet server 139 might show you if you can reach that port. Note, the
calling telnet will just hang after it gets a reply.

Joel