[Samba] XP slow to print to Samba 3.0 alpha21 server

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Dec 20 15:58:30 GMT 2002

Hi all,

As WinXP begins to loom larger in our environment, we're seeing a
consistent pattern that XP machines (mostly XP Professional, possibly
others) take an excessively long time to access shared printers:  I'm
told that it takes up to 5 minutes to initially install the printer on
the local machine, and it typically takes around 45 seconds to deliver
print jobs to the queue.

The print server is running Samba 3.0alpha21.  The server is also a DC
for an NT domain that these WinXP machines are joined to.  We are using
spoolss and server-provided print drivers, and I did add the "XP" printer
drivers to the server using the Add Print Wizard in an effort to
alleviate the lag (printing is slow both before and after uploading those
drivers).  Anecdotal evidence suggests that printing was much quicker
before upgrading to Samba 3.0, though I haven't had a chance yet to set
up a 2.2 test print server to verify.

Network traces and log files happily provided to anyone willing to tackle
this issue.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek