[Samba] Weird..

Tim Kubricht kubricht at houston.oilfield.slb.com
Fri Feb 28 21:25:04 GMT 2003

Igor,
I found this on the MACHINE.SID  from a file on Samba-HowTo had found a
Troubleshooting doc that suggested
removing all the files in private.  But I wanted to confirm that before I
suggested it.
I have removed the secrets.tdb file and started samba and it did re-create
the secrets.tdb
file.  net view \\computer_name did show my shares as expected.

Thomas Klettke wrote that you may need to go to the PDC system and remove
the computer name
from the server list for new systems to be added.  I agree this may also
need to be done.
Regards,
Tim

The file private/MACHINE.SID identifies the domain. When a samba server is
first started, it is
created on the fly and must never be changed again. This file has to be the
same on the PDC and the
BDC, so the MACHINE.SID has to be copied from the PDC to the BDC. Note that
in the latest
Samba 2.2.x releases, the machine SID (and therefore domain SID) is stored
in the
private/secrets.tdb database. This file cannot just be copied because Samba
looks under the
key SECRETS/SID/DOMAIN. where DOMAIN is the machine's netbios name. Since
this name has
to be unique for each SAMBA server, this lookup will fail.