[Samba] OSX Server - Excel files

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Feb 28 14:58:59 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 00:32, Hugh Evans wrote:
> Hi, I am new to this list, so please excuse any redundancy in my
> question.
>
> I have 60 Windows XP users who are tied into three Mac OSX File -
> Xserve file servers. There is one big problem - ... we are having
> issues with Excel files, that on occasion, are not being recognized,
> taking literally minutes to load and other quirky abnormalities. Excel
> on the XP desktop machines will refuse to save documents back to the
> file server - though Excel can still browse, load and save other Excel
> files. This is not happening all the time - maybe once in every five
> access'
bummer - are you running the most updated version of the OSX software
maybe you could install your own samba .
there have been some recent oplock fixes that may not be in the apple
distribution of samba.

It's worth trying to disable the oplocks to see if you get an
improvement
try
veto oplocks = /*.xls
see
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_05.html
for more info

> I posted to a Mac server mail list but had little respone. - one person
> suggested turning off "opportunistic file locking" on smb. Can somebody
> advise me on how to do this... from the command line if necesssary
you'll have to modify the smb.conf file
dunno where it is on osX probably /etc?

> It seems that his would be a pretty draconian solution  - Has anybody
> else seen this kind of behaviour? Any other possible causes / fixes?
the veto oplocks is not entirely draconian - it just turns them off for
the file types you're having trouble with.

brad