[Samba] OT? PDF printer driver for automatic deployment

Henning Holtschneider hh at loca.net
Fri Feb 28 14:24:37 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've got a printing server running Samba 3.0alpha21 (on Linux). The
client machines running Windows 2000 are producing PDF files by printing
to a "virtual" printer on the Samba machine. The printer driver shall be
installed from the Samba server on demand. I need color output, b/w is
not sufficient.

Everything works fine, i.e. the PDF conversion process and the automatic
driver installation on the client machine, BUT:

Which Windows 2000 printer driver should I use? I've tried several HP
models which let me control all sorts of printer (hardware) parameters
but very little Postscript parameters. I've tried an Apple Color
Laserwriter driver but the output doesn't look as good as it should. I
tried a Minolta driver but it fails to install on the server.

Then, I came across Adobe's Universal Postscript driver but it lacks an
.inf file I could use to upload the driver to the server. Apart from
that, the Adobe Universal driver will always result in b/w output.

Thanks for your help,

     <-gninneH<-
--
   __                 _  __    __   Henning Holtschneider
  / /  ___  _______ _/ |/ /__ / /_  <henning at loca.net>