[Samba] Re: smbldap-tools badly messed up

Jim jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Fri Feb 28 07:51:11 GMT 2003

> no they should work they way that the folks at UNAV (who wrote the
> tools)
> want them too...

Who is UNAV?  These are IDEALX.

>>1. If you add a user, the users group must pre-exist.  No adding users
>>and groups simultaneously.
>
> right - see my previous post if you really want the one group per user
> stuff.

I'll look for it.  What was the title?  Understand that it is not that I
want only one group per user, it is that I want *at least* one group of
thier own.  In this way the user can change the availability of thier
files  by changeing ownership.  chown is a little easier to figure out
than chmod and an binary/octal numbering system.

>>2. If you do add a user the gidNumber is set to the default specified in
>>/etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm NOT the users group as specified on the
>>command line with "-g".  This HAS to be a bug.
>
> i don't see that here...
> i have two main groups
> 100 - users
> 4493 - admin
> i just tried this
> smbldap-useradd.pl -a -g 4493 testuser
> and i see
> ldapsearch -x uid=testuser |grep gidNumber
> gidNumber: 4493
> looks to work fine to me...

Tested it several times.  Didn't work.  How often do these scripts get
updated anyway?  We had to patch them for Mandrake because Mandrake
doesn't store any binarys under /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin by
default.  Simple path change though.

>>3. The option to leave profilePath and scriptPath blank does not seem to
>>exist despite the fact that samba does not require them and that one
>>might want blank as the default for simplicity.
>
> you can leave those both blank if youlike - just
> set $_userProfile = ""
> and $_userScript = ""
> in smbldap_conf.pm
> I've never tried this so I'm not sure it works.

Line 211 below is an example of what I have.  Problem is that you wind
up with some other stuff, like a file name for example, from somewhere
other than /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm
                                      I think maybe from smbldap-adduser.pl

[root at enigma scripts]# grep -n "userProfile" /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm

41:$_userProfile $_userHomeDrive
58:$_userSmbHome $_userProfile $_userHomeDrive $_userScript
210:#$_userProfile = q(\\\\microverse\\profiles\\);
211:$_userProfile = q();
[root at enigma scripts]#