[Samba] Samba, CUPs & Win2000 printing

jason at macservice.com.au jason at macservice.com.au
Fri Feb 28 04:35:10 GMT 2003

I'm very new to Linux and Samba so bear with me - I am migrating our
business to a Linux/Samba network from an NT network - using Samba as a
PDC.

We are running RH7.3, Samba v2.2.7a, and CUPS v1.1.14

I have a test network set-up which includes the Linux/Samba PDC server, a
Win2000 client and a HP Jetdirect network printer (Laserjet 4Si)

Domain logons and filesharing works fine, but I cannot get the Win2000
client to print to the network printer through Samba. I am using CUPS for
printing on the Linux machine - I have set-up the jetdirect printer using
the "HP Laserjet 4V, 4Si, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.0" driver and can print
test pages via CUPS admin page and can also print to the printer from
Mozilla etc through X on the Linux machine.

Samba automatically lists the printer after its been set-up in CUPS.

On the Win2000 client I go to the add printer applet and can browse to the
printer on the Samba server, select it - it gives the message saying the
driver on the server is not correct, would I like to install a local
driver. I install the native Win2000 HP 4Si driver, all goes well - I get
the 'ready' status when the printer is selected in the printers folder but
if I try to print a test page I immediately get:

 "Test page failed to print. Want to see the useless troubleshooter for
assistance? Unable to create a print job."

If I try and print from a something like M$ Word I get: "Windows cannot
print due to a problem with the current printer setup. Blah blah try
printing a test page blah..."

Notepad returns: " A StartDocPrinter call was not issued"

Any help would be much appreciated - I cant kill the NT server until I
have these jetdirect printers working through Samba!

Here is my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.0.0.198 (10.0.0.198)
# Date: 2003/02/28 15:27:10

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MACSERVICE
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        announce version = 4
        time server = Yes
        printcap name = cups
        logon script = logonscript.bat '%G'
        logon drive = g:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 99
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 10
        hosts allow = 10.0.0. 127.
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

<-- irrelevent shares stuff removed -->

[netlogon]
        comment = Netlogon share
        path = /data/netlogon
        write list = @admins
        oplocks = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /data/printer_drivers
        write list = root

PS. anyone use HP Web Jetadmin software on Linux?