[Samba] Default settings for print drivers

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Thu Feb 27 21:13:22 GMT 2003

I'm having a problem where printing preferences (advanced settings) are
not remembered for 2.2.7a.  This behavior differs from installed
printers not associated with samba.

What I do:
-Server-
Create samba share, SIGHUP to parent samba process.
>From w2k, connect to samba server (user is defined as printer admin),
select Printers, refresh so the new printer share shows up, select
properties.  "No" (do not install driver locally).  Under the advanced
tab, click the new driver button, install a driver that hasn't been
installed before (one that deals with null devmodes okay).  OK.

Looking at the printers folder again, select properties of the share,
and install some options under set device settings.  Set preferences,
advanced preferences, like stapling.  OK.

-Client-
Now, from a w2k client, install the printer from the samba server
("Yes", set it up on the computer).  Properties shows that the device
settings appear to be retained (correct options, installed etc).
However, the preferences (like stapling) are all back to the defaults.
I can change the preferences, and apply, and they are retained.
However, now in an application (word, i.e., whatever), select print, the
layout tab (so far settings are retained), but once you click on
advanced settings you are back to the defaults.  What's worse, trying to
set those same settings result in conflicts because some features no
longer appear to be installed.

If you install the printer locally to LPT1 or whatever, everything is
retained correctly.  The applications pick up the settings specified
under Start... Settings... Printers, and it remembers everything
installed.

Is this at all similar to the problems you are having?
~ Daniel

On Monday, February 24, 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> get the paper size
> some printers which
> intervention if they get a
> > >
> > > What version of Samba?  What server OS?
> > >
> > Sorry. I'm running 2.2.3a on Debian 3.0. Custom Linux
> 2.4.20 kernel, 1gb ram,
> > 2xP3 (Coppermine) @700MHz.
>
> Can you try to reproduce this using the latest SAMBA_2_2 cvs
> code?  (or
> even 2.2.7a).  The 2.2.3a release is fairly old now and a lot
> has changed
> with regards to ms-rpc printing.
>

> cheers, jerry

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.