[Samba] Could Linux load average problem be related to smbfs?

%%jrrs spieg at phair.csh.rit.edu
Thu Feb 27 19:34:08 GMT 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

[ getting about an 8 load average, with very little actually running. ]

  this might be wholly inapplicable, but i once had a situation similar
  to that, where my reported load was much much greater than my perception
  of what the system was actually *doing*.

  i had enabled the diskd cache whatnot method of squid, rather than
  the normal ufs method.

  either the squid process itself or one of its child processes was polling
  something ( i don't believe it was the physical disk, but i don't fancy
  being quoted on that ) once every second or so.  the poll was only a blip,
  but it was enough to keep the load high.

  so, perhaps if those processes were strobing/polling something, it wouldn't
  make the system run as busily as the load was telling you?

  again, that might not be terribly applicable. ?

  jared.