[Samba] access denied to home directory

Steve Cleveland stevec at engr.orst.edu
Thu Feb 27 17:58:34 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I'm running Samba 2.2.7a on Solaris 8.  Since installing 2.2.7, we've
been having a problem where occassionally (starting to happen more)
users are denied access to their home directory.  They are able to login
and their roaming profile is downloaded (which is in their [homes]
share).

But as soon as they try to get to their home directory, they get an
access denied error.  We've had reports of users sometimes being able to
get to their home directories immediately after logging in, but then
losing access later (this has led to a couple of data loss issues).  I
_think_ the users are actually losing access to all of the shares on the
server when this happens, but I haven't been able to verify that yet.
Usually, if they log out and log back in everything is fine.

I haven't seen any error messages in the event viewer of the local
machine, and about the only thing I see in the samba logs is this:

Feb 26 16:18:08 stak smbd[25696]: [ID 702911 local7.error] [2003/02/26
16:18:08, 0] smbd/vfs.c:vfs_GetWd(687)
Feb 26 16:18:08 stak smbd[25696]: [ID 702911 local7.error]   vfs_GetWd:
vfs_getwd call failed, errno Permission denied
Feb 26 16:18:08 stak smbd[25696]: [ID 702911 local7.error] [2003/02/26
16:18:08, 0] smbd/vfs.c:reduce_name(755)
Feb 26 16:18:08 stak smbd[25696]: [ID 702911 local7.error]   couldn't
vfs_GetWd for W32X86/3/PSCRIPT5.DLL /private/samba/print

Obviously, this appears to be more of a printer driver issue, but there
are about 32,000 lines of these errors in the last three days.  Maybe
it's related, maybe not.

I've tried deleting the .tdb files and restarting samba.  This seems to
resolve the problem for a while, but within few hours or days, the
errors start popping up again.  I'm not convinced that deleting the
files does any good.

Anyway, I know this is not much information to go on, but I have been
fighting this for several weeks without much success.  And on a busy
production server, it's difficult to troubleshoot, especially when I
can't easily replicate the problem.  Any ideas or troubleshooting tips
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 - Steve

Steve Cleveland