[Samba] nmbd in redhat 8.0

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Thu Feb 27 08:46:33 GMT 2003

I think you are seeing a problem with the Redhat /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
script.  When you set Samba to be a WINS server it starts two nmbd processes
rather than just one.  Redhat's smb script only stops one of these leaving
the other one chugging away.  Try running 'service smb stop' or
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop' twice and you will see they are both killed off.

HTH