[Samba] NT roaming profiles unable to be updated

Greg Hobson greg.hobson at pertech.com.au
Thu Feb 27 04:54:59 GMT 2003

We have recently upgraded from Samba 2.0.4 to 2.2.7 on our test machine
with a view to using W2K and WXp clients. We are using Samba on Solaris
7 version of Unix. Our client PC's are all NT 4, SP5. We have a default
profile for users who login and load the major application (they don't
see any of the NT desktop or have access to the Start button). Other
users who have access to the desktop have their own profile in the
ntconfig.pol file.

Everything was as it should be with Samba 2.0.4. Users could save their
mapped drives, run server and local applications.

With Samba 2.2.7, the users can login, however, their previously stored
mappings are no longer available. When they go to map a drive (say, thru
Windows Explorer), they receive a NT message box 'Cannot change your
save connection settings'. They can map to the drive during their
current session, however, (as the message says) the setting are lost on
subsequent logon sessions. Those users who loaded and ran the major
application after logging on, now go straight to the desktop.

We have set the permissions on the ../home/<user_home> to 777 (their
profile is stored in here), but this has made no difference.

We have created a new ntconfig.pol file (all default options), this has
made no difference.

I do not want to stay at Samba 2.0.4, I need to upgrade to 2.2.7.

We have searched thru various forums for possible solutions, but have
found none. This is my first posting to this group, which i am hoping
can point me in the correct direction to resolve this challenge.

I feel like the sailor with one foot on the boat and the other on the
jetty and unsure which way to jump.

TIA

Greg Hobson

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender immediately and do not use, store or disclose their contents. Any
views expressed are those of the individual sender and not of Pertech
Holdings Pty Ltd unless otherwise stated.