[Samba] my smb.conf file

Tom Coburn tandrew1304 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 03:43:28 GMT 2003

ok here is my smb.conf file..
its basically the default for RH8 with a few additions
like writable = yes for users to be able to write to their
directories and such..

this .conf file works fine in XP,
its just Windows Millennium I am having problems with..
Windows Me keeps prompting for a password at:

//TopGun/:IPC$

TopGun is my netbiosname..

I have no clue what IPC$ is,  encrypt passwords =yes
but I am going to try that windows 98 hack

(should work for windows Me as well I hope)

to see if that fixes the problem.. I sure hope so..

samba in my case, is being used with my apache
2.0 webserver so that local users on the LAN
can upload their websites to their webpage without
having to use FTP..  my website is at:
http://www.tcoburn.com  and each of my users have
a website as  tcoburn.org/~username.

I just want this to work so my users can upload their
websites to their /home/username/public_html  directories
rather they are using WIndows Me, or Windows XP....
thats all I'm trying to do..   I am using a Linksys router
using DHCP and I have a static IP that tcoburn.com points to.  all this works fine in XP with this smb.conf file,
just windows Me I'm having a problem with....

smbpasswd users and passwords are created and work fine in XP..