[Samba] printing using SAMBA-OSX and XP Network

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Wed Feb 26 19:53:29 GMT 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 01:42  PM, Dawn wrote:

> I want to use SAMBA for printing on the Mac in OSX. I downloaded the
> files.
> Now, do any of you know where I can get the information-(url) on
> setting
> up the Printers using SAMBA?

I don't think that OS X can use a Windows or Samba shared printer
without an addon product such as 'Dave'.  Your Mac already has a
version of Samba installed - installing a later version from samba.org
will not help with printing.

I suggest you instead investigate the use of CUPS for printing to
network printers on UNIX/Linux boxes.  If your printer is on a Windows
2000/XP system, you can install the LPD print server from Microsoft,
and use CUPS to print to that as well.  I do that all the time with my
iBook to print to Samba and Windows shared printers...
  --
Jim Morris (Jim at Morris-World.com)