[Samba] Windows XP, samba 2.2.7a; delayed write failure

Martin A. Brown mabrown-samba at securepipe.com
Wed Feb 26 19:02:39 GMT 2003

Hello all,

Summary
- - - - - - - - - -
I am looking for suggestions, solutions, and assistance with a problem
involving Windows XP in a samba-2.2.7a workgroup with domain logons and no
PDC.  Other WinXP clients don't seem to be affected, so I'm endeavoring to
isolate what the problem could be.

Detailed Notes
- - - - - - - - - -
 - I have a windows XP client.  It was once a Windows XP client with
   service pack 1, and was reinstalled as Windows XP only.
 - Because of the increased compatibility with windows XP clients, I
   choose to upgrade from 2.2.1(?) to the current release, and now have a
   samba-2.2.7a server.
 - The service has been operating flawlessly with many other Windows
   clients including other Windows XP clients for months/years.
 - The windows XP client will initially appear to operate normally as an
   SMB client for writing new files, but will repeatedly and stubbornly
   refuse to properly write temporary files upon file save e.g., Word and
   Excel.
 - I (with my site contact) have tested the Windows XP clients (both
   vanilla installation and service pack 1 installation) with the
   WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg registry hack.  No change in behaviour
   with/without this hack, but I guess that this has to do with domain
   logon behaviour.
 - some relevant global options:
     domain master = yes
     preferred master = yes
     domain logons = yes
     wins support = yes
 - The windows XP client has no problem browsing files on the samba shares
   with Windows Explorer.
 - The various error messages returned by the windows XP client during
   the entire testing procedure are:
     "Client redirector does not calculate the SMB signature properly."
        (before registry tweak, I think?)
     "The save failed due to out of memory or diskspace."
        (only from WinXP without service pack)
     "Delayed write failed."
        (in all testing cases)

Microsoft Solution
- - - - - - - - - -
I have found the following resources that purport to address this issue:

M$ knowledge base article discussing the "Delayed Write Failed" error, but
restricted to Windows 2000 (Server,Advanced Server,Professional)
installations.

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321733

This MSKB suggests changing the following parameter on the server:

  HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

  enablesecuritysignature=0

However, I find no such parameter or discussion of such
parameter (naturally) in the samba docs, because of course, I'm running
Samba, not a WinNT server.

Questions:
Has anybody experienced this problem elsewhere?
Can anybody point out a potential solution?
Did I miss a crucial setting or documentation point?

And, as always, thanks to the Samba team for this reliable software, and
thanks in advance for any responses or suggestions.

-Martin

Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown at securepipe.com