[Samba] Problem: cancel copy of file makes smbd go crazy

Daniel Geske daniel.geske at yoc.de
Wed Feb 26 11:46:57 GMT 2003

Hi all,

When I copy any file from any of my W2K machines onto the samba server, and
cancel that (copy) operation while it is in progress, the client stops
responding and the samba process takes up all the cpu power of its host.
If loglevel > 2, then also it writes into the log file as fast as the
controller can, until the hard drive is full.
A "tail -f logfile" while this is happening shows nothing is written. A
"lsof" lists the logfile as "(deleted)".

This behaviour can only be stopped by killing the smbd process that went
wild.
I'm running a SuSE 7.3 Pro Linux with Samba 2.2.1a. The problem is
repeatable and other than that samba runs fine.
I've been checking the internet for some time, but could not find any
information on similar behaviour on other machines.

If anybody has ideas about what's going on and how to fix this problem I'd
be happy to hear from you. Thank you!

Sincerly,

Daniel Geske