[Samba] samba troubles

tandrew1304 at earthlink.net tandrew1304 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 26 01:27:25 GMT 2003

 I am running Samba (latest version) under redhat 8.0

 in the smb.conf,  I have security = user,
and have set userid's and passwords based on 3 Linux accounts
I have.

this works fine in windows XP and 2000,
but in Windows 98 and WIndows Me, samba prompts me for a password
to   //servername//Home

why does it prompt for a password in 98/Me  but not 2000/XP?

also, in XP,  I can write to /home/username
but am not able to create or write to   /home/username/subdirectories
I was told I had to set permissions in redhat to do this, but
I think
the problem is  /home/username/public_html was created by  root,
if username created it, then it'll write just fine, but since
root
created it then it won't let username write to it.    how would
I go
about fixing this from the root side so that username can write
to it?