[Samba] Samba spanning subnets

Matt Schillinger mschilli at vss.fsi.com
Tue Feb 25 20:43:07 GMT 2003

First off, it sounds like what you have is a WINS issue, not a PDC
issue.

All you have to do is have a server designated as the 'WINS Server'

aside from other configuration items, smb.conf should have 'wins server
= yes'

on the other 2 subnets, have 1 machine / subnet act as a wins proxy

wins proxy = <ip address of main WINS SERVER>

Then they will forward their subnet's netbios info to the primary WINS
Server.

>From there, all you have to do is have all of your clients point their
wins server to <IP Addres of main WINS Server>

There is another solution that is a little easier, yet requires you to
have a setup so that 1 machine can connect to all three subnets (3 nic
cards)..

In this case, just setup 'wins server = yes', and point all your clients
to the appropriate ip address (you can point clients to a local subnet
interface, or just point to one of the interfaces), and you will have a
browseable network.

Matt Schillinger
mschilli at vss.fsi.com