[Samba] Do I need NETBIOS/NETBEUI on windows clients when samba is my PDC

milend milend at ansco.com
Tue Feb 25 20:28:11 GMT 2003

Hi,
I replaced my old Windows NT box runnig as PDC with a Cobolt Qube 3 and
Samba-2.2.2-C1.
Cobalt Linux version is  2.2.16C33_III+VPN.

With the WinNT as PDC, all windows client's in the network had only
TCP/IP protocol installed and
they were able to browse the network and see each other.

With Samba running as PDC, TCP/IP only is not enough to browse the
network. I had to install NETBIOS or NETBEUI on
windows client's machines in order to be able to see others.

Do I really need NETBIOS/NETBEUI on the windows clients?
Do I need WINS server running on Samba PDC as well?

Thank you for the help in advance!
best regards