[Samba] Re: samba as a replacement for ftp

Steve Williams swilliams at rinax.com
Tue Feb 25 17:22:59 GMT 2003

Hi,

I do this from all over the country as I travel with my laptop.

PPTP into a VPN concentrator that brings my laptop onto the LAN via the VPN.

PPTP is the VPN connection that is included in almost every version of
Windows from 98SE onwards.  It's pretty simple for even computer
illiterate people to use.

We have a fancy CISCO VPN concentrator at work now, but I originally
configured this using an OpenBSD box running the PopTop.  It took a
little massaging to get it to work, but it was 100% reliable.

The technology works, but the whole infrastructure needs to be
examined.  The Windows browsing works primarily on broadcasts, so this
can really break if you are not careful on your subnetting.

I found the "proper" solution was to go to a WINS server, but again,
know what you are doing!

Cheers,
Steve