[Samba] Re: New user seeking information

Steve Williams swilliams at rinax.com
Tue Feb 25 17:16:53 GMT 2003

Hi,

I doubt if HPUX supports smbmount...  if it does, then that is your
solution.

If it doesn't, I have done exactly what you are referring to (except on
AIX) by using "smbclient" to push the files over to a share on a pc.

It's basically an FTP client that talks the Windows networking protocol.

Two disadvantages...
1) the file still has to be created on the Unix system first, then
copied over to Windows.  I do not believe that it can "streamed".
2) For it to work un-attended
    a) the permissions on the windows share have to be liberal... ****OR****
    b) the password to access the windows share has to be hard coded
into a shell script

eg:  smbclient //some_server/some_share -Usamba%rocks -c"cd daily; put
report_file"

(note, the above is untested...)

Cheers,
Steve