[Samba] Re: logon script to adjust time on workstation

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Feb 25 16:43:55 GMT 2003

>Okay, I just found it.  For future reference, Go to: Start->Run->gpedit.msc
>
>Once the Group Policy editor opens, find:
>
>Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
>Policies -> User Rights Assignments
>
>Then select the Policy "Change the System Time" and add Everyone to the
>list.
>
>Thanks for the help Khanh.
>
>-Gabriel
>
>Khanh Tran wrote:
>
>>You'd have to set the policy for the "Everyone" group to change the time on
>>the workstation.  I don't remember exactly where it is in Win2k, but I know
>>it was possible in NT.
>>
>>Khanh Tran
>>Network Operations
>>Sarah Lawrence College

You might also use the Windows-Time-Service. So you don't need to
give "Everyone" the right to change the time.

- Install, config and start an ntpd on a server (e.g. your Samba-Server)
- login to the Workstation as Admin and set the "Windows-Time-Service"
to start "automatic" (Control-Panel-Configuration-Services)
- go to the windows-command-line and type:
  net time /setsntp: <ip of time-server>

With this setting you don't have to sync the time in the login-script,
it's done by the Windows-Service.

Martin