[Samba] smb_request: result -104, setting invalid

Mikhail Kruk meshko at cs.brandeis.edu
Tue Feb 25 15:06:58 GMT 2003

I have a number of RedHat 7.3 computers. Kernel 2.4.18-3. Samba version
2.2.3a, installed from RPM that came on the RedHat CD.
All the computers share some directories, but I don't think this is the
issue. They also mount some windows shares like this:
//host/unc /mnt/host/unc smbfs username=admin,password=pwd,workgrou=support,uid=user,gid=user   0 0

Sometimes on access to these shares (I'm not 100% sure that it is access
to those shares, but it looks like it is) I get kernel log:

kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
kernel: smb_retry: successful, new pid=xxxx, generation=xx

Again, it seems, but I'm not sure, that this behavior started when I added
uid= and gid= to the mount.
I have 4 boxes which all have approximately the same setup and I see this
on 3 of them.

Thank you in advance,
and please CC me, I'm not subscribed.