[Samba] Re: samba as a replacement for ftp

Francis Lau fkwlau at fitch.math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 25 15:02:51 GMT 2003

If we plan to use samba/windows 's way of encrypting passwords (LanManager
/ Windows NT MD4) then we don't need a VPN.  I would think that all the
user has to do is connect by typing \\some.domain.name.ca\sharefolder
using ports 137/139.  Am I correct here?  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Would there be any security risks if we were to implement samba this way?

Many thanks,
Francis