[Samba] Windows XP Profiles

Kurt Weiss input.maillists at kwnet.at
Tue Feb 25 07:03:49 GMT 2003

> I would like profiles to be stored locally and
> automatically created when a new user logs in.  So, if a

roaming profiles are copied at login from the server to the client. at
logout they will be copied back...
if netconnection is broken, the client uses the temporary copy on itselves.

if u want to use local profiles, so u have to change the profile type to
"local" or turn off roaming. (as u did).

if a user logs on first time (in the network when using roaming / on the
client, when using not) - so windows creates the profile as copy of
"default user" (at the client/ i did not try, what happens if u create
default user on the server, but i think it will be functional...). - 4
details, please refer microsoft doc's.

> user has not logged into a particular computer before, a
> profile will be created (possibly from a template?) for
> them and will be stored locally.
>
> I have been able to turn off profile roaming by adding
> "logon path =" to the smb.conf file, but that will just
> allow the user to logon, not create an account on the local
> machine for them.

if i did not misunderstand u (i'm austrian and not to fix in english) -
i think u should turn *on* roaming...

i hope i helped
gk