[Samba] samba as a replacement for ftp

Francis Lau fkwlau at blanch.math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 25 06:17:41 GMT 2003

Hi all,

My organization is thinking of using samba to replace the current ftp
service that we offer, because it is very easy to use and encrypted
passwords are built in Windows (for authentication).

We are running a Solaris 5.8 machine with Samba 2.2 installed.

We tested samba in our LAN and it works great.  However, this service
is meant for users to connect from home.  What do we have to do to make
samba work over a routed network?  Should we use a WINS server (using
samba), special DNS server....? I am very new to samba so please have a
little patience in my basic questions. =)

Also how many users can a samba server support?

Could we just follow the way University of Alberta is using samba?
(http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/SAMBA/win2kstep2.html)

Thanks,
Francis