[Samba] Is Samba made for trash ?!?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Feb 25 03:35:58 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Michael Paarmann wrote:

> logon script = %U.bat
> logon path = \\server_office01\%U\profileNT
> logon home = \\server_office01\%U
> hide dot files = yes
> domain logons = YES
> domain master = YES

do not join a Samba box to a Windows domain and enable the previous two
parameters.  You just asking for problems.

> >You are dealing with a different network protocol and different network
> >clients.
>
> No, i'm only working with TCP/IP now. And yes, the clients work with W98
> or W2K.

I meant CIFS/SMB vs. Netware.  Not IPX vs TCP/IP.

> That's right. Spool32.exe or spoolss.exe die very often. I can see a
> read or a write socket error in the log list nearly at the same time.

Ahh...did you initialize the printer drivers installed on the Samba
server?  If you are not supporting driver download to windows clients,
you might want to set "disable spoolss = yes"

> Hmm, do you really think that this can solve some of my problems? The
> update from 2.2.3a to 2.2.5 wasn't very effective.

Samba is different from other projects such as apache.  Because we are
constantly learning new things about how windows servers operate, it is
hightly recommended to use the latest stable release.

> But is there a possibility to set Samba in a kind of "Compatibility Mode",
> so that i can be sure the source of the problems isn't Samba ?

Samba constantly runs in "compatibility" mode as compared to a Windows
server.  At least that is the intent.  We don't always get it right.

cheers, jerry