[Samba] Printer Passwords and Print Auditing

Matthew Raymer mraymer at universal-solutions.net
Tue Feb 25 00:05:11 GMT 2003

Hello to all you folks,

I've got TWO questions.

1) I've been trying to password the use of my two laser printers so that
printing has to be assisted by my computer attendant (we are losing too much
paper and toner to people clicking print five to ten times).  But, I have
not figured out how to force passwords on my samba printer (HP LJ1200
running under cupsd and samba).  Is it possible for me to require
administrator intervention?

2) I would like to have a page based audit of printing as well.  Does samba
support that?  I've also been curious to do a "pixel" based audit whereby I
can estimate toner consumption.

Matthew Raymer