[Samba] PDF Printer issue

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Mon Feb 24 22:08:43 GMT 2003

Hello Everyone,

	I have a slight issue with configuring a PDF printer on my Samba
servers. I have input the following into my smb.conf file and it does
create the printer as well as work to create PDF files, except that it
only functions when "printing" to that printer via Excel 2002. If I
attempt it with anything else, even the Windows Test print, it fails.

	Now, in the Windows Printers folder, if I select the PDF printer
the status box states that the printer is inactive and not ready.
However, if I browse to the printer through the Windows Explorer Network
Neighborhood, the printer shows up as active and ready.

	I am unsure quite what the problem is, which means it is likely
something very easy. There is one thing to note, I have not a single
Linux Printing Subsystem running on the machine as this server is not
being used for regular printing of any sort.

	Here is my smb.conf section:

[purchpdf]
        comment = PDF Generator for Purchasing
        path = /var/spool/samba
        valid users = *UserNames Removed*
        write list = *UserNames Removed*
        printable = yes
        print command = gs -dNOPAUSE -dbatch -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=/share/purchasing/pdf/%J.pdf <%J 1>/dev/null 2>&1; rm -f %J

	Thanks for any assistance that can be rendered.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.