[Samba] Windows XP Profiles

Curtis Hawthorne cghawthorne at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 20:48:12 GMT 2003

Hi,

I just recently installed Windows XP on one of the
computers in my network (previously all Windows 98) which
uses Samba as a Primary Domain Controller.  After making
the required changes for adding machine accounts, I am able
to log on using Samba as a PDC.  My question is how to get
profiles working the way I want them to.

I would like profiles to be stored locally and
automatically created when a new user logs in.  So, if a
user has not logged into a particular computer before, a
profile will be created (possibly from a template?) for
them and will be stored locally.

I have been able to turn off profile roaming by adding
"logon path =" to the smb.conf file, but that will just
allow the user to logon, not create an account on the local
machine for them.

I'm guessing you can do this somehow with policies, but I
really have no idea where to begin.

Thanks!

Curtis H.