[Samba] [Fwd: Re: GCC 3.3 release criteria]

Dan Kegel dkegel at ixiacom.com
Mon Feb 24 20:34:26 GMT 2003

gcc is a great compiler, but as of gcc3.2.2, it can't
compile Samba on Sparc with -O2.  This has been marked
as a high priority bug in the gcc bug tracking system,
and should be fixed before the next release.

To make such regressions less likely in the future,
it would be helpful if somebody were to look at
http://gcc.gnu.org/testing/
and submit a build-and-test guide for Samba to the maintainer
of that page.  This would make it more likely the
gcc volunteers will do regression testing of
new releases of gcc against Samba.

BTW, I got involved in this because I saw a rant against
gcc in the libtool mailing list by someone who was
burnt by this regression.  I forwarded his rant to the
gcc mailing list, and almost immediately a gcc developer
stepped forward to help make sure the problem goes away.

I'm not enough of a Samba hacker (or even user) to write
the guide, but I bet it'd be duck soup for some of the
folks here.

Thanks,
Dan