[Samba] Why am I getting this error?

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Mon Feb 24 17:41:26 GMT 2003

I've been getting this one for a while, but since it doesn't seem to be
causing any problems I'm just now getting around to asking about it.  I'm
sure it's something really dumb I'm overlooking, I just need another set of
eyes to spot it for me.

In log.smbd, many times a day:

[2003/02/23 12:17:40, 0] smbd/service.c:set_current_service(59)
  chdir (/export/shared) failed

Permissions on /export/shared:

# file: shared
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:mirror:r-x
user:INTERCLEAN+Brent:rwx
group::r-x
group:INTERCLEAN+Domain Admins:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Domain Users:r-x
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:mirror:r-x
default:group::r-x
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Domain Admins:rwx
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Domain Users:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

This is the only share I get this error message from.  The permissions don't
seem notably different from what I have set on some other shares.  Here's
the entry for it in smb.conf:

[Shared]
        comment = Files shared between departments
        path = /export/shared
        writable = yes
        printable = no

Samba 2.2.7a, RedHat 7.0, kernel 2.4.19 + ext2 acls.

David Brodbeck, System Administrator
InterClean Equipment, Inc.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
davidb at mail.interclean.com