[Samba] Is Samba made for trash?!? Newp.

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Mon Feb 24 17:29:19 GMT 2003

Make very, very sure that you have no network problems.  I had a very
similar problem with AutoCAD that turned out to be a user who was on an
overloaded hub that was dropping lots of packets.  Apparently AutoCAD would
lock the files when he opened them, but the packet releasing the lock would
sometimes get lost in transit when he closed them again.

Also, if you're doing tricky things with permissions you can run into
problems.  When Word saves a file, it saves a new copy and deletes the old
one.  That means if your create mask has very restrictive permissions, the
file may not be read/write by other users anymore.