[Samba] samba authentication

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Feb 24 17:09:23 GMT 2003

I had a security hole that let a hacker get access to my passwd file one time.

I wasn't using shadow passwords because I thought the machine only would have =
authorized users.

Within 48 hours of the hole being announced on a security website, they had my =
root password.  i.e. they unencrypted it.

Fortunately, they were not smart enough to do any real damage.  They just =
filled my website with links to porn sites.