[Samba] Unable tp map to a samba share from home

Jon Niehof jniehof at paladigm.com
Mon Feb 24 15:55:24 GMT 2003

> I have a filtered restriction on port 139 Why ?
*puts on mindreader cap*

I suspect what you're trying to say is that you have a samba
server running at home (as a guess--on comcast's cable modem
service) and are trying to access it remotely, but it fails
because port 139 is filtered.

*If* that is the case, I would further suspect that comcast
is intentionally filtering smb/cifs traffic on their net so
as to somewhat impede rampant file trading and also to
protect folk who run unsecured windows machines on their
networks. Those boxes get rooted, customers blame comcast.
Worse, those boxes become DDoS zombies, *everyone* blames
comcast.

SMB over the Internet is a Bad Idea IMO. Look into a VPN or
SSH tunnel if you *really* need it.