[Samba] pam_mount_conf?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Feb 24 15:53:44 GMT 2003

> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:40:42 -0500
> From: Aaron Bennett <aaron.bennett at olin.edu>
> To: "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [Samba] pam_mount_conf?
> Message: 1
>
> Have any of you folks actually managed to get pam_mount working?

I have it working, but do not usually use it (we have NFS and various
other tools instead).

> A quick google shows a ton of messages saying "you can use pam_mount" to
> automatically mount a user's home directory on log in, but no messages
> saying "I use pam_mount" etc -- I'm suspecting it might not actually
> work.  Or at least I might not be smart enough to make it work.

I am not using it to moun the users home, as we have NFS for that. Would
be interested to know if people use it for user homes with winbind ...

> First -- pam_mount 0.5.11 from www.flynn.org doesn't compile on RHAT 8.
>   Following is the failure:
> pmhelper.c:176:27: missing binary operator
> pmhelper.c: In function `get_fstab_mountpoint':
> pmhelper.c:200: `FIXME' undeclared (first use in this function)
> pmhelper.c:200: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> pmhelper.c:200: for each function it appears in.)
> pmhelper.c:200: parse error before '}' token
> make[2]: *** [pmhelper.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pam_mount-0.5.11/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pam_mount-0.5.11'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

You might want to give a few more lines of output (from the beginning of
this error). You might be missing the pam development files (usually in
the pam-devel or similar package).

> so much for that.  However, pam_mount 0.5.9 does compile and install.
>
> My pam_mount_conf has the following volume line:
>
> volume * smb olinfs02 users /home/remote/&/winnt uid=&,gid=& - -
>
> /etc/pam.d/gdm has the following two extra lines in it:
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_mount.so use_first_pass
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_mount.so use_first_pass
>
> I added them to the end of the file as per the README.
>
> Nothing happens.  No volumes are mounted.  Nothing appears in
> /var/log/messages.  No errors are generated.  It just silently fails.
>
> ????

Try using it in /etc/pam.d/login, as you can turn on the debugging in
the config file, and you will be able to see any errors as you log in.
Once it works for login, apply it to gdm/kde/xdm etc.

I have:

[bgmilne at bgmilne bgmilne]$ grep ^volume /etc/security/pam_mount.conf
volume * smb caelinuxserver & /home/&/mnt/mail uid=&,gid=&,dmask=750 - -
volume * smb caeprintserver installs /home/&/mnt/installs
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=750 - -

(I do not use ~ since we use root-squashed NFS-mounted homes, so root
may not be able to mount on the NFS mounts).

0.5.9 (I am running Mandrake cooker using the package from cooker
contribs) works for me, 0.5.10 seems to not work with smbfs, and someone
has reported having problems getting 0.5.11 to compile where 0.5.10 does.

Regards,
Buchan

- --