[Samba] samba Bdc to samba Pdc

richard rcoates at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 23 02:57:32 GMT 2003

I have setup a test wan with 2 redhat8 samba 2.2.8pre boxes as:
PC1.
Domain-Pdc on subnet 1
security=user
domain master
logon server = yes
adduser script for machines (works ok)
netlogon, profile shares
wins to PC2.
etc
     and
PC2.
Domain-Bdc on subnet2
domain master = no
security=domain
pass server=*
wins-server = yes
logon server = yes
adduser script for machines (doesen't work here on Bdc)
netlogon, profile shares

both subnets linked by a router to simulate our vpns at work.
Bdc joins domain on Pdc.
smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PC1 etc...
smbpasswd -S  ( copy domain sid; do I need this step with samba pdc? )
I copied smbpasswd file PC1 to PC2. I had to manually add Xp-pro$
account on Bdc as "adduser script" doesen't work. Xp-pro client1 joins
Domain and authenticates to Pdc. I break router link and user from
Xp-pro authentication times out to Pdc, auths to Bdc just like Nt.great
so far.
Xp-Profile is stored on Pdc. hmmmm. Bdc-server based profiles are needed
here as our office wan link is a slow vpn. Can samba Bdc work as a logon
server instead of Pdc for local-lan based profiles?

Richard.