[Samba] samba authentication

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sat Feb 22 19:52:10 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 15:23, Daniel Provin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've read a lot about setting up samba as a password server, and
> authenticating unix users against a samba server, but is there
> any way to authenticate samba users (like on logon) against
> the unix users and passwords (th users on the passwd and on the
> shadow files)?
yes you can do it with unencrypted passwords
i don't recommend this...

in practice it is not a problem to keep the unix and samba passwords in
sync
(pam_smbpass for unix password changes) and
the samba built in unix updaters for changes from windows.

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>