[Samba] moving a samba pdc

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 22 12:34:05 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 22:49, Thomas Angst wrote:
> hello list,
>
> I had to move a samba pdc server to a new hardware plattform.
> So I copied the whole files of the samba shares.
> And additionally the following config files:
>
> /etc/passwd
> /etc/group
> /etc/smb.conf
> /etc/smbpasswd
> /etc/secrets.tdb
>
> The new server has the same name and ip address like the old one.
>
> But now, the w2k users can no more download their profiles. (w2k says
> something like access denied)
>
> What do I have overlooked?

Did you rename the new server at any point (as in, did you copy the
files over, then rename the machine while samba had already started on
the new files)?  For reasons I'm not entirely aware of, we change domain
sid when we change names.  smbpasswd in the latest 2.2 versions of samba
now has an option to 'suck' a SID from another machine, and to set it (I
think).  You may need to reset it back to the old value.

Pin down that it isn't a 'real' file permissions issue - check you can
get to the profile with smbclient etc.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org