[Samba] Restrict access to [homes] share

Chew, Darren darren.chew at vicscouts.asn.au
Sat Feb 22 09:06:20 GMT 2003

G'day,

I'd like to know how to restrict access to the [homes] share. Currently, each
user is able to read/write to his/her own share, and by typing
\\machine\anotheruser can open another user's share and read/write there too.
I would like to restrict access so that a user can only read/write to their
own share only.

Here is some of the relevant config:

[global]
	workgroup = ASDF
	server string = Samba Server %v
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = *
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 10240
	time server = Yes
	os level = 64
	preferred master = No
	domain master = No
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	template homedir = /dev/null
	winbind separator = +
	winbind use default domain = Yes
	admin users = wicked
	printer admin = @"Domain Admins"

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	path = /home/samba/%S
	force group = nobody
	read only = No
	browseable = No

I have tried using the "valid users" line but when I put it in I can't open my
home share. I am using Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Samba 2.2.7a (from rpm). Any help
is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Darren