[Samba] explorer.exe crashing at login

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Feb 21 22:32:48 GMT 2003

Sam Hart wrote:

>I don't think I'll be able to help solve your problem completely, but I
>may be able to send you in the right direction. We recently had this
>problem as well, and found that giving the users higher priviledges on
>their local client machines solved the problem (which, for our users, was
>not a desirable solution).
>

>begin  quote: On 03-02-19, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>

>>We're running a network of Windows 2000 SP3 machines with Samba 2.2.7 as
>>the PDC and roaming profile store.  Certain users logging onto certain
>>machines will see an error dialogue pop-up saying explorer.exe has
>>generated errors and will exit.  This keeps popping up and to only
>>course of action is to ctrl-alt-del and logout.  For most people,
>>everything works fine.

After going through Microsoft support, they pointed me to the following
support article:

326572 Explorer.exe Repeatedly Generates Access Violation Error Messages
After
_http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326572_

In addition to the hotfix mentioned in the article, upgrading to IE 6 it
supposed to do the same thing, which I tried, and it worked.

- Orion