[Samba] Need solution to Printers window access denied, unable to connect message.

Tim Kubricht kubricht at houston.oilfield.slb.com
Fri Feb 21 16:34:36 GMT 2003

Clayton,

       Yes Success I have gotten rid of the access denied, unable to
connect error messages on both my
        samba 2.2.7 and samba 2.2.2 servers.

       Thanks go to Stephen Carville for the solution.

       It took till today to confirm with my users that the problem has
gone away.

       Clayton (after enabling SWAT on my samba 2.2.7 test server) I did
find the "use client driver" option hidden
       in the SWAT "Advanced" page  of the Printers queue window and from
man smb.conf  I search for "/use client"
       which says that if you do not upload printer drivers into samba then
you will get the access denied, unable to
       connect message in the printer queue window even though jobs may
successfully be printed.  And it says that
       "disable spoolss = yes" does the same behavior as the "use client
driver = yes" option.

       Note1: It does take about a minute for the <opening> message to be
replaced by the ready message But I
                 guess it is authenticating with the NT PDC during this
time delay.

       Note2: The man page also says not to use this feature if you do
upload drivers into samba.

Thanks for everyone's help
Tim