[Samba] cupsaddsmb - why the heck can't Igetrpcclient-addprinterto work?

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 21 16:05:32 GMT 2003

-----[ Brian (bjohnson at jecinc.on.ca) wrote on 2/21/2003 10:47 AM -0500 ]-----

> I'm a little nervous about building too many packages from source.  I have a
> few and I wonder what will happen when I try to upgrade the server to a
> newer version of RH (that uses a newer version of glibc)
>
> I've got a feeling that I will have to recompile all of those compiled
> packages and I don't know if my users will like to wait while I do that
> (we're a small LAN but my users like to have working tools).
>
> IMO sticking to some kind of package management system should help smooth
> upgrades ... the problem is that I have to wait for the packages or figure
> out how to make them myself
>
> What are your opinions on this strategy?

If you download the cups source and unzip it, you will find a file called cups.spec in the top
level dir of the source. You can pass the spec file to rpm (or rpmbuild on newer redhat systems)
and it will create an rpm for you out of the dowloaded source files.

Makes it easy to have your own compiled app but still get to use package management.

Yes, you may have to recompile after major system library changes, but it is relatively
straightforward.

Good luck. <and thanks to the cups maintainers who provide .spec files>

     --Ben--

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu